Another beginning to Free Agency is upon us, with that, there's a lot of information out there but luckily, and it seems that somethings happen out of nowhere. But in fact, that's not true, there's actually a strict code that GMs mostly adhere to. Here it is.
The 10 Commandments of NHL Free Agency:
1. I am the GM of the Rangers, no one will overpay like me.
2. Thou shalt not circumvent the Salary Cap in vain
3. Remember to keep holy July 1.
4. Honor thy Owner and thy Sponsors (like Paul Holmgren)
5. Thou shalt not trade recently signed long term contracts. (Sorry Homer)
6. Thou shalt not commit tampering. (But seriously, how else are complex long term deals announced exactly at 12 noon?)
7. Thou shalt try to steal bargain players at bigger bargains.
8. Thou shalt not bear false offer sheets to RFA's for the intent of screwing over another team's cap situation.
9. Thou shalt not covet thy rival's goalie
10. Thou shalt not covet thy rival's cap-space